- In the Mode of Shang for chamber orchestra (1956).
First performed February 2, 1957 at the McMillin Theatre in New York City, by Composer Forum, and conducted by Jacque Monod.
- The Miniatures from T’ang for chamber ensemble (1957).
First performed April 30, 1957 at Sarah Lawrence College in Bronxville, New York, and conducted by Meyer Kupferman.
- To a Wayfarer for clarinet, strings, harp, and percussion (1958).
First performed December 3, 1958, in New York City, by the Contemporary Music Society, and conducted by Leopard Stokowski.
- Poems of White Stone for mixed chorus and chamber orchestra (1958-59).
First performed March 14, 1959 at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign during the Festival of Contemporary Arts, conducted by John Garvey.
- The Dark and the Light for piano, percussion, and strings (1964).
First performed by Yi-an Chang on the piano, conducted by Arthur Bloom.
- Ceremonial for trumpets and trombones (1968).
First performed in New York City at the Museum of Modern Art.